Calvin “JOONIE” Gary, Jr. is an American singer, songwriter, arranger and musician specializing in Soul, R&B and pop music. JOONIE’s debut album, Acoustic Love, was recently released via Hitclub Entertainment and he’s even been labeled one of BET’s “Top 5 R&B Up and Comers.”
Get to know JOONIE and his music:
1. How long have you been performing?
I started performing when I was 14.
2. Do you play any instruments?
I play the guitar, percussion, bass but my instrument of choice would be the piano.
3. Who are some of your influences?
D’Angelo, Lauryn Hill and Nat “King” Cole.
4. I know you’ve written for and collaborated with Ruben Studdard, Elliot Yamin, Nappy Roots, Angie Stone and Mos Def. How was that experience and did you learn anything from the artists?
They’re great people and great talents. I’ve learned a little from each experience but the most important thing I’ve learned has been to have fun while creating.
5. How does it feel to be one of “Top 5 R&B Up & Comers” on the BET.com?
It feels great! I’m honored and I look forward to even more success.
6. Can you describe your first time onstage?
I was underage but my 1st set was in a night club. My stomach was turning, I was sweating.. extremely nervous but I pulled it off.
7. Are you working on any projects at the moment?
Well I’m currently pushing my debut album, Acoustic Love. It’s definitely a record that will go down as a classic.
8. Where can we catch you next? Any upcoming shows?
I’ll be touring Japan in February but to find more info on shows or what I have going on, go to www.jooniezone.com
9. What’s the best piece of advice someone ever gave you?
Except help but never rely on anyone else for your success.
10. Where can people listen to your music online?
You can check me out at www.joonie.bandcamp.com
11. Anything else you’d like to add?
Just want to thank you all for your support and love. Keep good alive!
Acoustic Love is available on iTunes and Amazon.
For more info. on JOONIE, visit:
About the Author
Formerly an editor and writer at Citysearch, The Examiner, LA Youth Newspaper and proofreader at The Los Angeles Daily News, Christy Buena decided to start Disarray Magazine because she missed writing what she wanted. From hiring writers, to contacting publicists and making assignments, Christy is responsible for the editorial strategy of Disarray Magazine.
Questions, comments or suggestions? Contact Christy@disarraymagazine.com
tweetmeme_url = '';
Leave a Reply