We recently caught up with journalist Anne Riley-Katz of StyleSectionLA.com, one of the bloggers who attended the WWDMAGIC/Teen Vogue tradeshow in Las Vegas, NV with StyleSectionLA.com creator Erin Weinger. Check out our interview with Katz as she discussed the MAGIC tradeshow, fashion tips and her goals.
1. How does it feel to be part of the WWDMAGIC/Teen Vogue media lounge?
It’s a lot of fun – being in this company is fantastic.
2. How has your WWDMAGIC experience been so far? What role did bloggers play in the event?
WWDMAGIC has been a wealth of information, from a visual standpoint and I think bloggers help bring MAGIC to a wider, and younger audience, generating a familiarity that blog readers previously may not have had with the show.
3. What inspires you and what makes your blog unique?
StyleSection is LA-centric and has a distinct local voice; I think that’s what helps distinguish the site from the myriad generic fashion blogs out there.
4. Do you have any advice for bloggers just starting out?
Have a distinct point of view. You have to bring something different to the table that will attract readers – there’s no point in being just another aggregator of general fashion information or opinion. There’s too much out there as it is.
5. What’s your ultimate fashion goal and what have you learned while trying to accomplish your goal?
My ultimate goal has less to do directly with fashion and more to do with journalism; I’ve learned that your integrity is everything, you have to be willing to do the hard, unpopular things when you know it’s right. You can’t pander to everyone.
6. Is there anyone you wish to work with?
7. What’s your favorite look that is simple to create, budget-friendly and always fashionable? (For women and how about for men?)
For men, I’m a traditionalist – i like khakis and an Oxford with loafers. Simple, clean, and straightforward.
For women, my favorite looks usually involve heels; for the past couple of seasons I’ve been digging the equestrian/English country vibe, so suede-trimmed leggings or very slim-fit pants with a long white linen shirt (sleeves rolled up) and wide leather belt. Have fun with the accessories.
8. Who has influenced you the most in your life?
Though it sounds cliche – definitely my parents, who are both overachievers but allowed me the freedom to pursue my passion, even in difficult times.
9. Are you working on any projects at the moment?
A two-volume book project for publishing house Assouline (to be named later)
10. Where can we find the blog you’re associated with?
About the Author
Formerly an editor and writer at Citysearch, The Examiner, LA Youth Newspaper and proofreader at The Los Angeles Daily News, Christy Buena decided to start Disarray Magazine because she missed writing what she wanted. From hiring writers, to contacting publicists and making assignments, Christy is responsible for the editorial strategy of Disarray Magazine.
Questions, comments or suggestions? Contact Christy@disarraymagazine.com
tweetmeme_url = ''; http://tweetmeme.com/i/scripts/button.js
Leave a Reply