Let’s face it: everyone makes mistakes, but no one should have to suffer from these common beauty errors. Whether you are a beauty pro or just beginning to give it a shot, try these simple ways that not only fix the problem but help you look and feel better:
1. Uneven Foundation: You’ve seen it: foundation that visibly stops at the jaw line. It’s a common mistake for a lot of people, even those that have been applying it for years. To find out if you are a victim of this, try taking a picture of yourself in natural light. If you are guilty, try matching your foundation color not to your face but your neck, that way it will blend all the way from top to bottom. Sometimes foundation can be a little too heavy on the skin, so try using either a tinted moisturizer or an aerosol foundation. Just spray a little on a makeup sponge and apply to the areas that need coverage. Not only will it look more natural, it will feel much lighter and your skin will appreciate it.
2. Skipping the Blush: Many people underestimate the power of blush and go right for the eyes. Not only is it an easy way to look refreshed and awake, it provides a romantic, flushed look worn oh so well by celebrities such as Emmy Rossum and is the perfect accompaniment for fair skin. Apply a bright colored blush to the apples of the cheeks with a large brush. The brighter the color, the better. For tanned skin, try peachy tones like Jessica Alba. But don’t go overboard on the rouge: the idea is to have a delicate splash of color on the cheeks. If bronzer is what you are looking for, apply it only to areas that naturally get more color in the sun such as the top of the cheek bone. Avoid using it as a blush, since the dark color will make the face look dirty instead of brightening it.
3. Over Plucked Eyebrows: This is an easy mistake to make and a hard one to fix, especially if you have been plucking for years. Not only do they frame the eyes, they frame the entire face. Before you begin to pluck a single hair, go to the experts. They will know how much to take and the best way to shape them based on the natural arch and thickness of the brow. Thicker brows can be worn beautifully like actress Camilla Belle if they are properly shaped. If you are lucky and have that kind of brow but are tired of keeping them groomed, spray a little hairspray on an eyebrow brush and sweep over them to keep hairs in place all day, but be careful not to get any in your eyes. If you are guilty of over plucking, it’s best to leave them alone and let them grow out for a while. Get an eye shadow one or two shades lighter than your hair color and an angle brush and fill them in. There are also eyebrow mascaras that make the hair thicker. Shape them by brushing them into shape with an eyebrow brush.
4. Brassy Hair Color: Just because it looks good on the box doesn’t mean it will look good on you. It is easier to go darker than it is to go lighter, so if you are a dark haired beauty wanting to lighten up, trust the experts. They will know what shades will go with your skin tone and what will work best with your natural hair color. If you do make a mistake and end up with that brassy color, try a purple or blue tinted shampoo available at beauty supply stores. The cool tone will counteract it and hopefully minimize the amount of brassiness. Before adding a darker shade to fix it, again consult an expert. It’s better to fix the problem the right way instead of over processing hair and damaging it any further. Natural is in these days so try sticking with the color given to you. Not only does it look the best on you, it will be healthy and shiny. Usually hair darkens as we age, so if you must color it try the shade you had as a child to achieve the most natural look.
5. Not Keeping Track of Beauty Trends: This is the most important mistake people make. Makeup last year isn’t the same makeup this year. In the past decade alone there have been many new products that everyone should be aware of:
• Stains are great alternatives to blushes and lipsticks since they provide light, all day wear.
• Mascara with separating combs end years of clumpy eyelashes and provide length and separation.
Just keep updated with the latest trends and products, and you will be on your way to looking your best.
Leave a Reply